Announcement: Solar Eclipse & Sales/Lodging Taxes


The solar eclipse is a few weeks away and will bring many visitors to Idaho. The Idaho State Tax Commission needs your help to spread the word about taxes that apply if Idahoans sell or rent out during the eclipse festivities.  Many folks don’t know they need to collect and submit Idaho taxes when they sell goods or rent out their properties, even if it’s for only one day.

The Tax Commission has created a special solar eclipse webpage at that gives examples of when Idahoans should charge tax and what taxes apply.  We’ve also created a flyer that you can print and hand out.  We’d appreciate your help in linking to our solar eclipse webpage on your city website and/or providing copies of our flyer to your local citizens.  

Also, our temporary permits webpage provides more information for anyone thinking of selling or renting out at any time of the year.   

If you have any questions, please contact me.

Thank you,

Renee Eymann • Public Information Officer

Idaho State Tax Commission • Taxpayer Resources Unit

phone: (208) 334-7513 • fax: (208) 334-7846

email: • website:

Follow us on Twitter: @idahotax